What's on Townsville is the events calendar for the North Queensland region. We welcome all events managers, artists, musicians, local community groups and business organisations to promote their events by listing through this site. We are constantly developing and updating this site to ensure it is providing the community with the highest level of technology in a user friendly format.
Who runs the site?
The What's on Townsville site was developed and managed by Townsville City Council as a community platform to promote events. The curation, editing and approval of events submitted by the community is carried out in conjuction with the Community Information Centre.
Who do I contact for assistance?
For all event submission related assistance please contact the Community Information Centre on (07) 4771 4230 or email email@example.com
Feedback on the overall technical development of the site can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Submission Guidelines
All events submitted to the What's on website must:
- occur at a venue or location within the Townsville Region
- be open to the general public
- have broad appeal for people from the local community as well as visitors to our area
- be submitted by the event organiser
- be specific, finalised and confirmed prior to submission. Events with dates or locations yet to be announced cannot be listed
Townsville City Council is not obliged to list events submitted here and reserves the right to edit or decline any event.
Content submitted, including images, is subject to review by our editors within Townsville City Council and the Community Information Centre.
Having editors review submissions helps to ensure listings are consistent with our style, guidelines are followed and pages are of a high quality. That means maximum readership for your event.
Terms and Conditions
If you browse or access any content or data on our website, you agree to be bound by our terms and conditions. Townsville City Council may change the terms and conditions at any time and your use of the website is acceptance of those terms.
Conditions of use
As a condition of your use of whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au or any services on whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au, you warrant to Townsville City Council that you will not use whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms and conditions or any other terms, conditions or notices appearing anywhere on whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au. You agree to abide by all applicable laws and regulations. In particular, you agree not to:
- use whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au to defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise offend others
- publish, distribute, email, transmit or disseminate any material which is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, indecent, offensive or inappropriate
- use any automated scripting tools or software
- engage in or promote any surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, unsolicited emailing or spamming via whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au
- impersonate any person or entity
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available using whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au any material that you do not have a right to make available under any law or contractual obligation or which contains viruses, or other computer codes, files or programs designed to interrupt, limit or destroy the functionality of other computer software or hardware
- breach any applicable laws or regulations.
Townsville City Council has no obligation to monitor any user’s use of whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au, however Townsville City Council retains the right at all times to monitor, retain and disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request. Townsville City Council has the right to amend or delete any inaccurate, inappropriate or unlawful content.
You will indemnify the Townsville City Council if Townsville City Council or its related bodies suffer any loss or damage or incur any costs in connection with any breach of these conditions or any other legal obligation by you or your use of or conduct on the whatson.townsville.qld.gov.au.
Townsville City Council (Council, we, our, us) collects and manages personal information in the course of performing its activities, functions and duties. We respect the privacy of the personal information held by us. The way in which Council manages personal information is governed by the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld) (the Act).
Generally, we will not disclose your personal information outside of Council unless we are required to do so by law, or unless you have given us your consent to such disclosure.
Townsville City Council makes some use of website data that directly or indirectly identifies users. You may also be required to provide other personal information including your name, address, phone number and email address.
Data collected by Council
We are collecting your personal information in accordance with Local Government Act 2009 and this information is gathered during interactions with Council’s websites in the following circumstances:
It is a necessary part of visiting any website that your web browser provides your machine’s identity (IP address) to the web server so it can address the reply to the correct machine. In addition, the browser type and operating system are provided.
Navigation and clickstream data
Browsing any website generates a trail of the pages you visit and the time apparently spent viewing each page.
Information about people submitting events
To submit an event for publication on this website, individuals are required to provide some personal information, including name and contact details.
- The purpose of collecting this information is to allow editors to contact you about your event listings and What’s On improvements.
- Supply of this information is mandatory as part of your event submission.
- Townsville City Council is the agency that is collecting and storing the information.
- Under the Information Privacy Act 2009 you have the right to access and request to change personal information held by Townsville City Council.
- Information collected by the Council is intended for use by staff in the marketing, communications and digital teams. Townsville City Council will only use the information for the purposes for which it was collected.
We seek feedback from our website users to improve the information and services provided on the site. Providing feedback is voluntary and does not in any way affect your access to this website. Personal information may be used to reply to your question or comment.
Personal information you provide when you register for email newsletters will only be used for the purpose indicated for that particular service.
We manage some aspects of your connection to this website using a facility called a cookie, which identifies and recognises the computer but not the person using the computer, when you visit some parts of our websites.
Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you can adjust your browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used.
Data storage, use, disclosure and retention
All data described in the preceding paragraphs may be stored and archived for a period that is yet to be determined but is likely to be at least 1 year and quite probably 7 years. Unless stated otherwise, the data is used by the Council and staff involved with maintaining and operating the What’s On website for:
- publishing event information
- website and system administration, including monitoring to prevent security breaches
- customising the website to meet user needs
- evaluation, research and development.
Identified data can only be disclosed to the user if the user provides the unique request session number. Personally identified data may be disclosed to a third party only in circumstances where such disclosure is legally authorised, such as in the investigation of a criminal offence in compliance with a search warrant or subpoena.
Accuracy of information
Townsville City Council and the Community Information Centre are responsible for maintaining the website and maintain that all information contained on the website is correct to the best of our knowledge (with the exception of any third party content which is provided to the Townsville City Council by other parties). However, no warranty is made as to the completeness, accuracy or reliability of the information and the Townsville City Council disclaims all liability and responsibility for any direct or indirect loss or damage which may be suffered by any user through relying on anything contained in or omitted from the website. You must exercise your own skill and care with respect to your use of the website and its content.
Links to other sites
References and links to other internet sites are for informational purposes only and should not be constituted as an endorsement of those sites, the information, views, opinions or standards they provide. Townsville City Council is not responsible for the relevance or accuracy, currency and reliability of information found on those sites.
Third party content
Some of the information provided on the What’s On web site is supplied by third parties. It is important all users understand that third party information is not provided or endorsed by us and your legal relationship is with the third party supplier. Please be aware that we have not necessarily checked third party content. You rely on third party content completely at your own risk.
The listing of a person or organisation in any part of this web site in no way implies any form of endorsement by Townsville City Council of the products or services provided by that person or organisation.
With the exception of third party content, all information, text, graphics, photographs, files, and audio/video content on this web site are Copyright © Townsville City Council. The content is protected by Australian and international copyright and trademark laws.
It is intended for general use and information. Information/files may be downloaded, stored in cache, displayed and printed. Content must not modified, copied, reproduced, or republished except with the written authorisation of Townsville City Council.
The Townsville City Council (TCC) website aims to be as inclusive as possible, especially with users who may use assistive technologies.
Additionally, our site has been:
- Tested with various diagnostic and evaluation tools, and we are constantly striving to improve the way content is accessed.
- Developed to display adequately on all commonly used browsers.
- Designed to suit a minimum screen size of 1024 by 768 pixels.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 compliance
Wherever possible, we follow the World Wide Web Consortium's Web Accessibility Initiative Guidelines and TCC is in the process of formulating policies for our website in order to improve accessibility.
Where practical, the WCAG 1.0 have been addressed, and endeavours, where possible, to meet the requirements of WCAG 2.0. TCC has incorporated a process of subjective assessment regarding which of the current Guidelines are still appropriate or applicable.
Disability and Languages
Council recommends using a third party screen reader or translation service for people with a disability or if English is a second language.