Anzac Day is a solemn day of remembrance, held on the anniversary of the landing of the First Australian Imperial Force and New Zealand Army troops, at Gallipoli in 1915.
Anzac Day is set aside to remember all Australian and New Zealand service men and women who have served their country and to pay respect to those who lost their lives in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
The Townsville City Council assist the Townsville RSL Sub-Branch and the Thuringowa RSL Sub-Branch in coordinating the Anzac Day commemorations.
Schools or Organisations wishing to participate in the Townsville City and/or the Thuringowa Anzac Day Parade/s MUST register online.
Please follow the links below to register. Registrations close 10am Monday 19 March.
A Townsville City Dawn Service will be held at the ANZAC Park Cenotaph on the morning of the event, followed later by the Anzac Day parade in which veterans and returned service organisations, active military units, local schools, community groups and other service organisations will participate.
- 5.30AM – Townsville City Dawn Service (form up 5.20am), ANZAC Park, The Strand.
- 6.20AM – Gun Fire Breakfast Townsville RSL
- 7.30AM – Belgian Gardens War Cemetery (form up 7.20am)
- 8.15AM – Townsville City Parade form up, Strand Park, The Strand
- 9.00AM – Townsville City Parade from Strand Park to ANZAC Park along The Strand
*PLEASE NOTE: There is no longer a formal Anzac Day Mid-Morning Service immediately following the Townsville City parade. All parade participants and others wishing to lay a wreath at the cenotaph are invited to do so at the conclusion of the parade.
Please note change of location:
A dawn service will be held at the newly located Thuringowa Cenotaph at the Village Green, Riverway Parklands early on the morning of Anzac Day. The commemorations in Thuringowa will then continue later that morning with the Anzac Day Parade (see below regarding the new parade route) and Morning Service.
- 5.40AM – Thuringowa Dawn Service, Thuringowa Cenotaph, Village Green, Riverway Parklands
- 8.30AM – Thuringowa Parade form up, Weir State School car park
- 9.00AM – Thuringowa Parade steps off from the Weir State School (see below for new parade details)
- 9.25AM – Thuringowa Morning Service, Thuringowa Cenotaph, Village Green, Riverway Parklands
*PLEASE NOTE: In October 2017 the Thuringowa cenotaph was relocated from Thuringowa Drive to Village Green, Riverway Parklands. This relocation has called for a new parade route. The 2018 Thuringowa Parade steps off from the Weir State School, proceeding along Ross River Road for approx. 400m the parade will then enter into the Riverway Parklands at the Riverway Stadium side gate (opp. Rolfe St) and proceed along Sporting Drive, before turning into the parkland and marching towards the cenotaph, located on the Village Green.
Other Anzac Day commemorations across the Townville region: